Most of us have some goals set out for ourselves to improve our lives. We usually separate our goals into personal or professional goals. Either way, without goals, there’s not much room for advancement in any part of our life. Without the challenge of reaching a goal you’ve set for yourself, there’s stagnation.
The process in which we set goals for ourselves matters. While you are responsible for whether you follow through with the goals that you’ve set for yourself, how you set them has a large hand in determining how successful you’ll be in achieving them.
What are SMART goals?
The term SMART Goals refers to a process in which you set your goals that will give you greater success. SMART is an acronym that most frequently stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound. The SMART goals method will help you with your organization, focus, and clarity with your goals.
Research has shown that using the SMART goals method can save you time and simplify reaching your goals. SMART goals are easy to implement and can be used by anyone with the desire to improve their life by setting and achieving goals.
The SMART Goals method of goal setting works because it lays each step out for you.
- The S stands for specific, meaning the goal needs to be clear and specific. When setting a goal for yourself, you must steer away from generalized statements. The more precise the goal is the better.
- M is for measurable. Measurable goals refer to tracking your progress. Your goal will be easier met if you can assess progress along the way, giving you more motivation and focus toward your ultimate ambition.
- The A is for attainable. Although your goals should help stretch you outside of your comfort zone and push you to the next level, it’s important that the goals you set remain achievable.
- R, relevant goals are imperative to your success. This means that the goals you set should be important to you and aligns well with your life and other goals you have set.
- Finally, T, for time bound. Your goals should have a deadline to achieve them. This will help keep you on track and focused, and give you opportunities to celebrate your small wins along the way. By implementing the SMART Goals system, you will gain the ability to achieve your goals, faster and with a higher success rate.
For a limited time, you can download my “Win the Homestretch Planner,” a $29 dollar value! Get your planner today!